Thursday, April 7, 2016

Week 11 Storytelling: Live Bands

It was safe to say Johnny was officially lost at this point. He sort of chuckled at himself because he thought this might happen in a city this size. New York city isn't really even a city. It is more like cities within cities within a city. It is colossal. It was his first time there in the city and he did not know his way around at all. Now that it was 1:00 am and his friends had all gone their own way he was alone trying to find his way back to his other friends house where he was crashing for the night. He knew it was somewhere in Brooklyn but of course his phone had died now and so he was left to go off memory.

Image Source


Is this even Brooklyn anymore? Man, I should have asked for Phil's address earlier I am such an idiot.

Johnny sat down and tried to calm himself down so he could think logically. He sat there for a couple minutes and tried to figure out what his next move. He thought maybe he should go back to the bar he was at and see if he could meet someone that might let him stay at their place. That seemed a bit sketchy though and unlikely. He thought about finding a hotel and just getting a room for the night but he knew that would be expensive.

He was about to get up and see if he could find a place to buy an iPhone charger when he heard something. It was faint but it sounded like live music. He wasn't sure what instruments were all playing but he could definitely make out a fiddle. Johnny was a musician himself and couldn't help but wonder who was playing. He loved live music and felt obligated to go and listen whenever he stumbled upon a live band.

Like a zombie he began to follow the noise to find its source. It seemed like it was coming from the back of an alley. He was reluctant to go down the alley, probably because of the amount of television he watched growing up but he  went anyway. The alley way opened up to the waterfront and he could tell where the music was coming from. In what looked like an abandoned warehouse he could see lights on and there were shadows dancing in the light.

When he finally got close he couldn't believe what his eyes saw. It was a bunch of animals! They was a band on a stage and then a  crowd of them dancing. He started to wonder if the drink he had earlier was laced with something. He rubbed his eyes to try to snap him out of it but when he opened them again they were still there having a blast.

Image Source
He watched them for a while and thought he must have been slipped some kind of drug, but hey these guys were good! He laughed at the different animals dance moves and even took a few notes for himself.

Johnny! Jooooooohn! John!!! Wake up man we gotta go.

Johnny opened his eyes and saw Phil's face staring at him. It was just a dream.




Author's Note.
HEY! diddle, diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laugh'd
To see the sport,
While the dish ran after the spoon.

The nursery rhyme made me think of a cat playing the fiddle and I thought how cool it would be if animals could play instruments. I thought about how weird it would be to see animals having a jam sesh together and then other animals dancing. I wanted to create a story that was kind of like when animals do human like things. I am not sure why I chose New York City but it seems like the kind of city where some weird things could be going on in the nooks and crannies that only a few people know about. I decided to make it a dream because I thought it made the story more realistic. Also, I love when I have crazy dreams and wake up and can remember them all so I thought that be fun to show in my writing. The pictures I chose were in an effort to help the reader get a decent idea of what I was envisioning. 

Bibliography.
Hey Diddle Diddle, The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang and illustrated by L. Leslie. Brooke, 1897. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Steve!
    So when I first started reading your story I was really curious to see where it was headed. I'm not going to lie, the ending surprised me! I thought it was pretty funny! I liked the idea of turning the nursery rhyme into a dream. I think that's the perfect setting and completely different from other stories I have read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve!
    I really enjoyed reading your story. First of all, because I can really relate to it. I love New York City but it is massive. Last November, I went there with the Gaylord College to try and network up there. One night, my friends and I went out and it was very difficult to find our way around the subway system after a night out.

    I also really liked your story because I love animals so I found it really comical and enjoyable that there was a whole band of animals. I thought the way you told the story was a good way to change the rhyme and make it cool! Great job on your storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steve! I loved reading your story this week! I thought that is was so creative and different that you told your story as a dream! I have not seen a lot of people in this class do that so I was glad I was able to read something different! Great job basing your story off of the nursery rhyme and using animals!

    ReplyDelete