Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary: Ovid's Metamorphoses

There are some stories within this story it seems like and the first one of Lo was rather weird. Basically a God raped a Lo when she was a virgin. When she tried to get away he made fog and snatched her out of the sky and raped her. That is how it ended. Abrupt to say the least. It is surprising to see the Gods lie to one another and be so deceitful. Makes me wonder why ancient Greeks put them on such a pedestal.

A picture from the stories of Lo
Image Source

Another surprising moment came when Jupiter is scanning the walls of heaven to see if the fire has done them any damage. I wouldn't think there would be fire in heaven or that heaven could be tarnished in any way. The Greek mythology seems to generate a scene of heaven that is not so different from earth. It makes me want to write a story where I incorporate what I think might be characteristics of heaven.

There is another rape scene in the story and it just makes me feel weird and almost upset. I think it makes me upset because it seem thrown into the story in such a casual way. Almost as if it is saying that it isn't a big deal and that it is commonplace.

It is surprising to me to notice so much jealously involved in the relationships of the gods of Greek mythology. There is always a lot of drama going on and honestly it is kind of irritating. Almost like watching some bad reality TV show. I did find this picture below to be really incredible though.

The amount of detail is astounding
Image Source


No comments:

Post a Comment