Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary Continued: Ovid's Metamorphoses

Below are some more notes and random thoughts on Ovid's Metamorphoses.

First off, the art in this section is incredible. How did someone paint this??

This is ridiculous.
Image Source

When I was reading the story about Echo I kept thinking about how interesting an echo is and how writers use it differently. Reading how something echoes into eternity kind of gives this erie feeling to the reader. It has way more of an impact than saying something survived throughout eternity. There is something spooky about an echo and it makes me want to incorporate an echo in one of my stories if possible. 

Reading the story about Narcissus makes me think about arrogant people and how it is never fun to have a conversation with them. When I do run into those conversations they always remind me not to lecture people or talk the whole time in a conversation. It reminds me to be a good listener and to ask questions to get the other person talking. In cases when I do that poorly I will leave the conversation thinking I should have asked more about them because I really do want to get to know people. I think it is way more fulfilling to learn about someone else than educate someone about myself. I think it has taken me time to realize that though. Maybe I can incorporate a similar moral involving listening and narcism in a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment